Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

how I found my way - a time of reflection

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Oh, how easy it is to attempt to plan our own way without relying fully on Him and the plan that He has already laid out before us. It is in our darkest hour, that He reminds us that He is in control. Sometimes the nice guy finishes last, and that's okay. Be kind. Be genuine. Pay it forward. Do something you love. 

To speak of something I love, I now present the Ikea dresser hack!

The master bedroom is lovely, but was definitely lacking in storage. Insert, the Tarka dresser from Ikea. I hunted around interested and gathered a few of my favorite ideas. I couldn't be more thrilled with final the result!

Hand me down vase (spray painted gold of course), jewelry case from TJ Maxx (only $20!) and a darling picture of the most precious goddaughter of all time!

Wooden monogram instantly fancied by a few coats of gold spray paint!

The added touch of the gold brackets completely ties together the look. I picked up 6, 4 pack for about $2 each at Lowes. Bonus, already gold/brass!

I replaced the original wooden knobs with these funky gold and ivory knobs from Anthropologie! I love the fun detail that they added. At $18 each, there were definitely the splurge item for this project. See similar knobs from Anthro, here.

Mr. added small felt pads behind the drawers to keep the from slamming.

This is what the dresser started as! At $149.99, this was definitely a budget friendly project compared to some dressers that I have been coveting on OKL and Joss and Main. 

I started by lying each piece in my covered garage, sitting on bricks, to allow for good even coverage on all sides. 

BIN Primer by Zinsser is great for sealing knots in wood and ensuring a sleek and even surface for painting. I use it for 99% of my projects.

For the primer, I used a 4'' roller for 'doors and cabinets.' Between coats, I wrapped the paint tray and roller in saran wrap to keep everything from drying out and having to open a new roller and tray. That little trick works great!

First coat done! I applied three even coats, waiting about 3-4 hours between each application. 

Second coat done! You can still see some of the knots and wood grain. 

Third coat done! After the third coat, I waited 24 hours before starting with my colored paint. 

Everyone has their own preference for paints, but I really like the new Valspar Hydrochroma paint featured at Lowes. It has excellent coverage and when it comes to paint, you definitely get what you pay for!

For the colored paint, I used a medium nap, full size roller to ensure smooth even coats of color of the orange paint I had picked. 

Again, for the color, I applied 3 even coats, waiting about 6-24 hours between each coat of the Valspar. 

I brought the all the painted portions inside for the third and final coat to prevent any environmental dust, leaves, straw, etc from attacking my finish. After allowing the surface to dry for 48 hours, I assembled the drawers. After the drawers were assembled, I applied 2 even coats of Minwax Polycrylic. I bought a thick brush specially for application of this type of finish and followed the instructions on the can exactly to get a perfect, protective finish!

Next came the knobs and brackets. I have to admit, this was the part I was most excited about!

#sweetizzygirl even helped me with this one! I think she loves the final look! 











3 comments:

  1. It looks stunning! I have a piece I am going to redo, and this may help me get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way I can order a monogrammed tervis from you? I'm getting married and wanted one with my new monogram. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura- do you still do the monogrammed tervis? I would love one if you do! I could not find an email address to contact you

    ReplyDelete