Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

in all things, give thanks

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Whew whee, what a busy couple of weeks it's been! With so much going on, I've had a pleasant reminder of how blessed I really am. If we're besties on facespace, you may have seen that I planned a surprise trip to Napa for Charlie's birthday. It was a huge success! Have you ever tried to plan something super secret without telling your significant other? Let me tell you, that was the longest two weeks of my life leading up to our departure. Despite a hiccup with my luggage being lost (and then broken, urghhh), it was a
perfect and wonderfully relaxing getaway. I cannot begin to say enough
wonderful things about our stay at the Carneros Inn and all of the staff there!
We absolutely loved the area and are already planning to go back next summer. 

I know the guy next to us thought we'd probably never been on a plane before when I asked him to take our picture. For the record, I have been on a plane before, I was just very excited about the big surprise trip I had (successfully) planned for us!

Front of our precious cottage at Carneros. It was amazing!

Little community of the individual cottages for the guests. The landscaping was so pretty. 

Practically a town inside the resort. Three different restaurants, market with snacks 
and wine, bicycle rentals, spa, boutique, pool, bocci ball courts (so fun!)... 
what else could you possibly ask for from a vacation?!

I felt completely guilty after my mini meltdown about my luggage when I saw this view. 
I was so thankful to be on such a fantastic trip with my honey. Things like this can really put 
small setbacks in perspective for you. We were so lucky to be in such a beautiful place! 
But seriously, don't ever fly United. You'll be sorry, I promise. 

Loved this sign pointing to the registration building!

He's going to kill me for posting this! We rode these bicycles all over the place. The baskets on the front were perfect for carrying my purse and all of our goodies from the market. 

Beautiful view at dusk. I took this right after I schooled Charlie on the bocci court!

Everything about our resort was so wonderful and relaxing that we had to make 
ourselves leave to explore Napa and the surrounding towns. This day, we had lunch on 
the patio overlooking the pool and surrounding vineyards. 

It looks like this everywhere. Literally, everywhere!

After Charlie let me shop a little in Napa, we starting talking with the precious owner of a local boutique who pointed us in the direct of this public market. Inside, it had lots of little restaurant-type stands with public seating for the bookoos of customers browsing around.

Front of the public market with sidewalk-front seating. 

We were so stuffed from lunch, Charlie opted for ice cream and I immediately 
decided on this delicious red velvet cupcake. So good!

Possibly my favorite part of the entire trip, the hot air balloon ride! Such a crazy feeling just floating up into the sky, but so fun! There were a handful of other people in the basket with us. Wouldn't you know my luck, another couple in the sky with us got engaged. During our balloon ride. Seriously?! That would happen to me... Anytime, Charlie, just sayin'

Our awesome pilot who has been flying balloons for over 30 years. He was so funny and an absolute delight! We found out after the ride, from another pilot, that he was actually the fella that started the company, modest little thing! If you go to California and want to do the same, use Napa Valley Balloons. Well worth the price and I'd definitely do it again!

Deflating the balloon after our ride. The blue ring up at the top is the sky. That's how it opens things up and lets out the air to deflate. Our pilot says you know you're in trouble if you see this during your ride!

After such a long day, we decided we wanted to just relax around the resort (I told y'all it really was that amazing!). Later that night, we went to one of the restaurants on the grounds. We heard the donuts were amazing so we tried them for dessert. Think mini funnel cake with sweet chocolate dipping sauce. I ate all but one of these little suckers, after an entire plate of what might have been of the most delicious fried chicken I have ever tasted. Sorry, Mom! Love you!

We decided we had to tour at least one vineyard while we were in town and this was the one we chose after an excellent recommendation from one of Charlie's friends. It was a 45 minute drive from us in Napa and the last 20 minutes were spent going about 35 mph through tiny, winding mountain roads. Despite the undesirable conditions getting there, the our guide was too nice and very knowledgeable, making the trip worth the visit. Unlike most vineyards, this one stores all of it's wine barrels in an underground 'cave' that is better for temperature control. Who knew there was so much to learn?

On our wine tour was the winner of Food Network's Hell's Kitchen, season four. She recommended stopping at Gott's for 'the best burgers' around. She was right, they were delicious!

On our way back to the airport, we just had to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge. Silly tourists!

After we got back from Napa, we closed on the house (I totally would've taken a cheesy picture, but Charlie had to work so he wasn't there with me)! This is so exciting because Matt and Lis closed on their new house too. Their builder will start working next week and estimates 9-12 months of construction. I can already 
see the time ticking by which means I have to get serious about renovating and decorating! 
Watching Million Dollars Closets today on HGTV has me currently obsessing over closet design. 
Lucky for me, the house is on the smaller cozier side so I'll have a few areas where I can splurge. 
The closets will definitely be one of these areas! 





1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful vacation! I wish we had taken a hot air balloon ride when we lived in Colorado. One day...

    We would have totally driven across the golden gate bridge too!

    ReplyDelete