Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

well, isn't that fancy!

But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way. 1 Corinthians 14:40

I do believe that an organized house makes for a organized mind, and the closet bug has got me thinking about all kinds of organization for the entire house! No doubt, the common thread in my posts so far has been how to best utilize every square inch of space in our new abode. I've started digital stickies on my laptop that are organized by room to remind me of all of the fancy ideas I see while searching DIY and organizational blogs, but I thought I'd share some of them here and maybe even get a little feedback. Are there any space saving projects you've started that just work wonderfully for you?

These are some of the things that I've stumbled across in my search that have made me look twice and think about how I'll implement them (or similar ideas) into H4. 

I found this great idea here. They are fridge liners that add a little pizzaz to your drawers and bins, but they are also absorbent! Pick up three of these for $25 here. I personally am in love with this idea! Absorbent = no yucky, crusty milk spills or grimy veggies to wipe up = easy cleaning! And they come in four different colors and three different patterns, say what?!?! I'm sold!

Now, Martha Stewart makes this uber fancy by using etched glass, but you could easily pick up some plain glass containers from the dollar store, a craft store chain or even World Market (with coupons!) and add vinyl letters to label some of your pantry staples. Added bonus, no spilling sugar or flour when unrolling the tops of your open bags (you know exactly what I'm talking about!). Now, you'll never discover you're out of all purpose flour in the middle of a baking project because the clear containers let you easily scan your cabinets before making a grocery run! I'm so excited to do this in our new house!

I try to cook as much as my night schedule allows, but I hate hate hate all those different size spice containers that clutter my cabinets. Enter this handy idea from one of my new favorite sites for organizational ideas, iheartorganizing. What a great way to streamline your spices and save cabinet space. Seems like a win-win if you ask me! 


I'm quickly learning that the backs of various doors are great places to utilize wasted storage space. I don't mean the traditional coat rack that is overflowing with junk (or at least I know this is what I end up doing), but actual everything in its place kind of storage. For our double door laundry room, we'll have a hanging basket on one side for our detergent and fabric softeners with the iron/ironing board just below. On the other door, a broom, mop, etc hanging like what is shown above. I just think this is genius! Think of all the space we'll be saving on our shelves in the laundry room closet! I'm in OCD heaven!! 

We'll be investing in a stackable washer and dryer for our small laundry closet and I think the idea of a pull out shelf between the two units in awesome! I hate wrinkles so I love to pull things out of the dryer one by one and fold while they are still warm. This idea will work just perfectly for that!

Although I won't be using this tip in the exact same way, what a great idea! We'll use a small basket next to the washer and dryer for our clothes that will bypass traditional washing and go straight to the cleaners. This surely beats an unsightly pile in the corner of the bedroom just reminding me of a looming list of errands waiting to be done!

To go along with the back of the door theme, I love these decorative necklace holders to mount on the back of my closet door. Cute and functional, the large knobs will ensure necklaces don't fall down with the frequent opening and closing of doors for daily closet access. There are plenty of these for sale on etsy, but I plan on making one with salvaged cabinet door fronts and cute clearance knobs from Anthro. Like this one? Buy it here.

I have a love/hate relationship with my scarves. I love to wear them and hate to store them, which means I have yet to come up with a good solution. I like this idea... get a cheap towel rod and knot your scarves for easy and wrinkle free storage. Viola - now you can see your different options without having to dig through baskets or dresser drawers! Wish I came up with this idea, but you can find the inspiration here.

Now, the biggest challenge will be the embroidery room. I must admit, I'm a little fearful of tackling this area because there is so much junk stuff that needs to be organized. Along with the organization of all my monogramming essentials will come a business overhaul to simplify The Possum Shoppe. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment