Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

making plans for moving on

Forget the former things; do not dwell in the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Isaiah 43:18-19

Of course, on our weekly trip home today I forgot the camera, but so much has changed with the house over the past weeks. Foundation, check! Passed inspection, check (thanks to TONS of hard work from Dad and Matt)! Power turned on, check! All of this is wonderful news for us because the sooner my house is livable again, the sooner Matt and Lis get to start building their new house. The sooner their new house is ready, the sooner they move out of my house and that means the sooner I get to start renovating! There are definitely things I'm going to miss about Charleston, so I've made it my mission to catalog these things and I'll attempt to incorporate them into la casa nueva!

I know, I know... I can have hanging baskets anywhere, but I will certainly miss 
being so close to Abide-A-While Garden Center in Mount Pleasant. It has become 
my favorite place to buy plants and flowers throughout the year because they 
1. are SUPER helpful 2. are SUPER knowledgeable and 3. their plants seem to last forever! 
I'll definitely be making the trip from my new house to continue my shopping there. 

I saw this poor little thing darlin sitting next to the street a couple months ago. There's nothing like finding someone's trash and upcycling it to use as your own!

Some of you may recognize or remember this beauty - we found what is 
now this black bench glider a few years ago sitting on the side 
of the road, all white and dingy just waiting to be picked up by the city trash 
service... so we took it! One replaced board and several coats of black paint later, viola! 

I love our shed. I found that iron half circle at a antique shop, spray 
painted it black and used it to fancy up the plain facade. 

Our landlord and his two younger brothers grew up in this precious little house!

My favorite part of spring, duh, window boxes! I planted these in October and they are still looking good. Thanks, of course, to my friends at Abide-A-While who helped me pick out just the right plants. 

Seriously, who wouldn't want to have this right outside their front door?! It's 
practically a picturesque scene from Leave It To Beaver or something of the sort.  

Besides being pretty, the new house needs to be functional. Our back room will be expanded to use as a den slash office slash embroidery room. Organization is going to be key and I'm already preparing for the challenge of having to best utilize every single square inch of the house for storage. I'm definitely one of those 'a place for everything and everything in its place' kind of people so Charlie and I have been brainstorming ideas to maintain the peace. I'm thankful I have plenty of time to come up with our methods and I'm even more thankful to finally have my embroidery machine in the same house as me. 

Did I mention lady genius and fellow home crafter turned small business owner will be right down the road from me once we've made the move? She was behind the lens of the camera that took all the shots of the house from my first post. We'll be sipping coffee and updating our websites together in no time. In the mean time, check out her fab-u-lous jewels for sale and her country livin' blog, here!

2 comments:

  1. You are the fab one! I can't wait for coffee and crafting time! ~ Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all are both fab!
    Laura, check out iheartorganizing.blogspot.com
    It's a great place to get ideas...especially since you have time to make your plans.

    I'm so glad you have a blog! We have a blog too...all about family though. Lots of kid pics. Check us out. http://www.lowcountryfayes.blogspot.com

    Sally

    ReplyDelete